There will be approximately 8 questions on the test.
Topics may include:
- Standing waves on strings, open-open tubes, closed-closed tubes, open-closed tubes. Be able to draw standing waves with maxima and minima (nodes and anti-nodes).
- Frequency, wavelength, wave speed
- Constructive and destructive interference
- Electromagnetic waves traveling through difference mediums, concept of indices of refraction
- Double Slit Interference
- Single Slit Interference
- Diffraction Grating (and/or reflection grating)
- Thin Film Interference
Homework problems to focus on in preparation:
Chapter 16: 7, 15, 25, 28, 34, 45, 56
Chapter 17: 1, 9, 14, 25, 40, 53